Friday, February 18, 2011

Un dia en mi vida...

Once again, the public outcry (from a foreign country, no less...I crack myself up) has sent me over to blogger.com to attempt to write something that seems somewhat remotely update-ish.

As usual, I was feeling like I had nothing to write about, probably because I've pretty much settled into a routine here.

Which means...I am blogging the ordinary: welcome to a day in my life!

Today (Thursday) I drove everyone bonkers by taking a kazillion pictures, documenting just about everything. So, I hope this gives you guys a glimpse into what it's like here!

(Note: if you want, feel free to click on the pictures to make them bigger.)

Soo, without further ado...

6:30: The alarm goes off. I'm thrilled because it's Rachel's turn to get up first!! Haha, we really do take turns showering first, and somehow the extra 20 minutes of sleep is the best thing ever.

7:00ish: I drag myself out of bed. Honestly, I can't believe I'm doing this, but I really am posting the I-look-like-a-zombie-because-I-just-got-up-picture.

Moving on....quickly. :P

After showering, Rachel and I have our devotions and check email and such. (Aww, Erika made it into a picture, haha.)

Side note: Spanish-English Bibles are awesome. I've temporarily stolen one I found in the cabin (hmm, Bible-stealing...that sounds totally wrong!) and I love comparing back and forth. I think it makes me think more about what I'm reading, which is a good thing for sure.

At 7:30ish, we head over to the house for breakfast.
While we eat our cereal, Mike reads from 1 Samuel about David and his men attacking the Amalekites after the destruction of Ziklag. (See, I do listen! ;))
At 8:00ish, it's time for science with Cristi. Because it's BJU video school, we watch videos as well as reading the textbook...it works out well.
It's cooooold in there! (Really.)
At 9:00ish, it's time for Bible and science with Carissa. While she watches the video lesson for Bible, I work on studying some Spanish verb tenses.
In Bible, Carissa lists what she's thankful for...I was amused. :) If you can't read it, she wrote, "Teachers (not Jess) :P."

Next, she had a test in science. I quiz her on the terms she's learned in this chapter...all about levers and pulleys and acceleration and mass and velocity and all that good stuff.
And...here she is after getting an A on the test. :D
After that, it's science with Mikey. Though I help him with labs and give tests and such, there isn't a great deal to do while he watches the lesson, so I read some Kirk (for my Freedom's class).
The illustrious science teacher... He's cool because he doesn't like oatmeal. :P
Mikey almost entirely evaded the camera, but I did get this sadly blurry picture. I think posting it is my revenge for his hiding my beloved Russell Kirk book for an entire day...
Since science was finished early, I was able to finish reading the Kirk assignment for the week and then attempt to play the piano for a little while...
At around 11:30, Cristi and I went outside to the hammock to take a Bible test. It works best if I read it to her and she tells me the answers.
As you can see, I'm working on my sunburn. :)
No idea why this picture is sideways (honest, it's not sideways in the folder on my computer!), but yeah...literature (with Cristi) is next.
At 1:30, I have my Spanish lesson with Reme. She's a dear! She's got to have a lot of patience to understand me... ;)
She has me read a couple pages in our Monarch butterfly (Mariposa Monarca) book, basically to help with my pronunciation and reading comprehension.
After that, she has me translate some more from The Excellent Wife into Spanish. Because she has the book in Spanish, she follows along in her book while I (tediously...I'm sooo slow!) try to change the English sentences into Spanish, one word at a time. I write down new words as I encounter them, and it's been good because it's forcing me to teach myself the verb tenses (at night, usually) that I was never taught in class.
After my Spanish lesson, I head over to the cabin and work on an email to my Freedom's professor, proposing ideas for an upcoming paper. He's great at helping me decide which ideas would work the best. While I brainstorm possible theses, I chat with Joanna. She's funny. :)
Probably around 2:45, we have lunch. Yeah, that's normal...and yeah, it took awhile to get used to eating lunch in the afternoon! It's kind of funny, you're probably expecting to see something very Mexican on my plate, but we actually had mashed potatoes, green beans, and meatloaf (haha, no, I'm not vegetarian...the meatloaf just wasn't done yet when I took this picture...). BUT! There is agua de jamaica in my glass...exotic enough?


After lunch, we got ready and then headed out to the gym. Don't you wish you had my self-photography skillz? Eww.
Driving to gymnastics...
Faith, Rachel, Cristi, Carissa, and I did almost 2 hours of a pretty exhausting aerobics workout. In fact, our instructor made us learn how to fly. Just kidding...though I look like I'm trying to evolve into a bird here. :P Also, I learned that I am far from coordinated when it comes to the trampoline...
Okay, tell me if Faith isn't the coolest missionary mom ever?! I could NEVER do a split in the air like this!
A random picture Rachel took as we left the gym...
After we got home, I had a Western Lit chat (at 7). It was interesting; we talked about Romantic era art, as you can see...
After the chat, I headed over to the house. A couple random pictures with Cristi and Cara...

We ate supper at about 8 (once again, normal!)...quesadillas!
In case you were dying to know, here's what the inside looks like.

After supper, Cristi wanted to do a little more science before bed, so she watches the review lesson (haha, this is Dr. Devolve)...
...while Carissa and I take ridiculous pictures of ourselves. And no, most of them will never see the light of day on this blog. :P
After that, I head over to the cabin and start uploading pictures while chatting with Erika and doing some reading for Freedom's (the US Constitution...again).
Yay for skype! I talked to my dad and Erika for awhile...she was writing posts for college, but it was cool to talk to my dad for awhile (a lot of times he's still at work when I call).

And now, here I am, finishing up the blog post before heading to bed! Haha, this is another of the crazy pictures I took with Carissa, but it accurately represents what I'd like to be doing right now. :D
So, that's that. Pretty typical, though I don't go to the gym every day, West Lit chats are only once a week, and Sundays are an entirely different story...maybe I'll have to write about a Sunday sometime!

Sorry this blog post is entirely lacking in humor...my brain is not being funny at all. It just keeps saying "sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!" So, good night!

27 comments:

Jon said...

You stole my Bible? What? The one in the blue and yellow box? Nerve. :-) I'm kidding. Help yourself. Glad the Spanish/English is helpful to you.

Hope you and Rachel are doing well. Stay warm!

Amy Masiker said...

Jess, looks like your having a good time! Great pics thanks for sharing :)

PineappleMama said...

Okay first of all - i love this post....i would say that it made my morning, but that wouldn't be true cause i already got a call from Matt ;) <3
Secondly, yes you do have great self-photography skills....i am jealous.
Thirdly, i will have to give you trampoline lessons hahaha
Fourthly, I MISS YOU!! :)

Nadea said...

Wow, when you do something, you do it well! (I'm almost ready to say it was worth the wait - but not quite ...) Thank you so much for taking the time to take pictures, upload, post, publish, etc. I feel much more like I have an idea of what you life is like. And although today it is actually above freezing (yay!) I am still just slightly jealous of your rolled up jeans and being able to sit on the ground. Have more incredible days. And please blog about a Sunday. And it was very funny too :) One of my favorite pictures was the very first one. And you look nothing like a zombie. :D

Ladygreen said...

Oh yeahhhhh :D :D This is totally awesome, and I am ever so slightly jealous I think. Yay for lit chats though...

Mike said...

jessica, that was GREAT. I do think you ought to do a Sunday some time. That would be cool. Maybe help me remember what i'm supposed to be doing. :-) I'm going to link to this for our update next week.
thanks.

Gryphon said...

Nice post!

Jason Boyle said...

Do you know the science teacher's name? looks like a guy I was in school with- Gary Jones.

Anonymous said...

@Jon: Hahaha! It might be your Bible, though I don't remember seeing a blue and yellow box... And thanks! :)

@Amy: Thanks...we are having a good time!

@Arielle: Aww, I have to take the back burner now?! Just kidding, hope you have a fantastic time with him home for a few days. I will have to teach you my self-photography skillz sometime..and in return, you can teach me how to do cool things on the trampoline without looking like a moron! Miss you too!

@Nadea: I assume you know that comment was obligatory? :P I'm glad you liked it...I try! Hope the weather warms up for you soon...muahaha. Actually, I've heard it's not quite so bad there lately!

@ladygreen: Haha, thanks! Yes, I'm thankful for lit chats...helps me feel connected to my far-away, slightly-jealous classmates. ;)

@Mike: Thanks! I will definitely try to blog a Sunday sometime. And sure...go right ahead!

@Gryphon: Thanks!

@Jason: YES! That's his name. Very cool!

Annetta said...

HAHAHA! I'm going to post a comment after you've just responded to everyone! Hey it's my job to be evil.

So, very, very nice post. And you don't look like a zombie, you just look creepy. OH! I know what I can do! I can say something in spanish! Me gusta su blog post.

Do another one on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

How terribly rude.

Just kidding, thanks for commenting, hermana. I suppose looking creepy > looking like a zombie. I'll take it. :P

Y a mi me gusta tu commentario!

Sure, I plan on it...but not today. Probably next Sunday.

Belle said...

The pictures of you were disturbing, but otherwise the material was enjoyable.


=P

Anonymous said...

See if I ever blog for YOU again.

:P

THE HUNTER said...

@Mike:If you are the kid that Jess has been talking about, then I would like to commend you. You are doing a great job on teasin her! Keep up the good work, man!

The Shepherds Crook said...

Thanks for sharing Un dia en sus (?) vida. I would so like to be working on a sunburn!! LOL Looks like the children enjoy your help and that you enjoy helping them too. And I agree that Skype is so nice to keep in touch with your family when one (or two, or three...)is gone. May God be with you, your work, and your studies!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I agree, sunburns are infinitely preferable to frostbite and snow shoveling... Thanks so much!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jess! I am very jealous of you sitting in the sunshine!
It's nice to see what you've been up to :) Looks like you're having fun!

Anonymous said...

WIZBIZ!! Wahoo, it's good to hear from you on here!

I know, right? Maybe I can get a darker tan than you this year...riiiiight, who am I kidding? :P

Thanks for commenting!

Twilight Shadow said...

Whats wrong with zombies?.......Wait....Its because I look like one isn't it? (Hangs head)
Fine, I see how it is. Besides all the deflating comments against zombies the post was good. Make sure you keep blogging. All of your friends back here want to keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Actually, with the whole "Twilight" thing, I think of you more as a vampire than a zombie.

JUST KIDDING.

And no worries, I plan to keep blogging! I just generally wait until the number of people telling me I have to blog NOW outweighs the importance of college assignments. ;)

Twilight Shadow said...

yeah, about that. I had the name before that REALLY irritating series came out. When I made it I was thinking of the time of night "Twilight" not the vampire series. although in most fantasy games Vampires and Zombies are usually strong creatures :) so I guess I don't mind. lol!!

Anonymous said...

Haha, actually, I knew that. I was just being difficult. :P Since I've never read the series (and don't plan on it), I really don't correlate the word twilight so much with vampires as with the original meaning. Iiiif that makes any sense!

Gryphon said...

uh oh.......
I am going to lock my door at night from now on!

Anonymous said...

Terrified of your bro now? haha

Nadea said...

How about otro día en mi vida ...

Annetta said...

It's Sunday...where's the new post?

Anonymous said...

@Nadea: Ah, is the Spanish usage a persuasive tactic? I like. And yes, I'm coming up with some ideas for a very random post, hopefully sometime this week. After we've done some painting at the church, I plan on blogging about church work days, but that will be at least a week away.... :-/

@Annetta: Lo siento. I will get on that... :)